I hear what you’re thinking why should I care about my website? Well, if you’re serious about building a business online, then you’ll probably agree with me – having a well-maintained website is essential. If you don’t, read on to learn why website maintenance is important.
It’s one thing knowing how to build websites, but another entirely to know what needs maintaining once you’ve launched them. A well-designed site will help your business to grow, but if it’s not maintained properly then you could lose out on potential customers who are put off by the poor quality or lack of regular updates. The best way to ensure that this doesn’t happen is to subscribe to a monthly, regular website maintenance plan from an experienced freelancer from a reputable company like… mine 😉
What is website maintenance
Website maintenance is the procedure of checking to see whether your website is working as it should.
Keeping up with security updates, fresh content and encouraging traffic growth are things that need to be taken care of for your website visitors to be happy.
What does website maintenance include
I’ve spoken to some business owners who think that they can just get by with a basic WordPress installation and never have to worry about anything. But the truth is, if you don’t take care of your site, it will eventually fail for one reason or another. And when this happens, there are going to be consequences – both in terms of lost revenue and reputation damage. Website maintenance packages include:
- Updating content regularly
- Ensuring links are working correctly
- Checking spelling & grammar
- Making sure images load quickly
- Adding social media sharing buttons
- Improving SEO
Website maintenance and the importanance of it
I’ve heard once if it goes wrong just get a new domain name and start over. If you do this you will lose your SEO wins by impacting the page authority your existing website has gained over time. Also, any returning customers will not know where your website is.
But, if you want to be successful in the long run, it’s best to invest some time into your site before launching it. This will help ensure that everything runs smoothly when visitors come across your page for the first time.
It also helps prevent any issues from popping up later on down the line. If you don’t have an existing audience or following, then this may not seem like much of a priority. However, if you do already have an established presence online, then investing in regular updates could really pay off!
A lot of people think that a good looking, well-designed and user-friendly site will be enough to get them the business they want. But this isn’t always true. A great design can only take you so far – it needs to be maintained for your visitors to return again and again.
Here are some more reasons why routine website maintenance is important:
- It helps keep your business visible on the internet. Allowing potential customers to find out more about your products & services.
- It shows people who visit your website that you care enough to regularly update it.
- It gives your eCommerce clients confidence that their data is secure.
- It makes your business site feel modern and professional.
- It can help increase sales because prospective buyers can see exactly what you offer. More time spent on the website means you can add your current products/ services and offer seasonal discounts.
- It improves SEO rankings – keeping broken links to a minimal, adding to content and working on your internal linking structure. It demonstrates commitment to quality service
- It builds trust in your brand and establishes authority
What are the benefits of website maintenance?
So we know security patches, testing contact forms, checking on various mobile devices and checking the speed are all part of the package. But what are the benefits? Below are 20 advantages to abiding by a regular update:
- It’s a great way to keep your site up-to-date and relevant, which is important for SEO purposes. If you don’t update it regularly, search engines might penalise you in search. You can use this time to add new content or improve existing pages on your site. This helps with user experience as well as rankings.
- Your visitors are more likely to return if they find that their favorite page has been updated recently. They may even share information about your business via social media sites like Facebook and Twitter!
- Gives you peace of mind. The last thing you want is to spend hours trying to fix something only to discover that it was never broken at all. With regular maintenance, you’ll know exactly where things stand before any major changes occur.
- Saves money. There are many reasons why maintaining an online presence costs less than building one from scratch.
- Backups should be carried out at multiple locations in case a data centre server sets on fire. This happened, on 10th March 2021, the building of OVH Cloud, who offer web hosting and domain names, their building set on fire.
- Improves customer satisfaction. Customers appreciate knowing that their needs are being met by professionals who care enough to make sure every aspect of their visit goes smoothly.
- It increases sales. People trust businesses that maintain high standards. So if you want customers to come back again and again, invest some time now to create a positive impression.
- Builds credibility. Credibility comes from consistency. Consistent quality means consistent results.
- Attracts potential clients. Potential clients see how much effort you put into making your site work properly.
- Shows appreciation. Showing gratitude towards your audience is always appreciated.
- Prevents downtime. Downtime isn’t just annoying; it hurts business too.
- Reduces stress. Stress leads to mistakes which lead to more stress. Peace of mind. Knowing that the system behind your website is working correctly lets you sleep better at night.
- Creativity thrives when we’re not worried about keeping things running smoothly.
- Keeps visitors coming back. Visitors like to return when they feel valued.
- Allows you to focus on other projects. Having a well-maintained website frees up valuable resources to be used elsewhere.
- Website maintenance promotes growth. Growth happens when new opportunities arise.
- Boosts sales. Sales come from offering great deals. Use pop-ups at certain evernts to offer discounts and increase the conversion rate.
Added security plays a large benefit to having a well-maintained website. Regular updates help prevent security issues from cropping up.
- Hackers love websites that have outdated software because there are more ways to exploit them. Check each plugin to see if it has not been exploited or corrupted.
- Security is essential because hackers will try to steal personal data such as credit card numbers, passwords etc.
- Keeps your site secure. Everything works as expected, there’s no need to worry about anything.
- When hackers get into your system, they often try to delete files so they won’t be found. But when those deleted files aren’t removed, they could cause problems down the road. That’s why regular backups are essential. Backups ensure that all data remains safe no matter what happens.
Below is a screenshot from an email sent from WooCommerce on 15th July 2021. I have highlighted the section which reads ‘the importance of updating immediately‘. The email is asking store owners to update due to a critical vulnerability being identified.